History Date

6th October, 1818 Jesus and Mary Congregation established in Lyons, France
30th March, 1837 Death of Claudine Thevenet, Foundress of Congregation of Jesus and Mary
January, 1842 4 French Sisters and an English Novice leave for India:
3rd June Sisters arrive in Bombay by ship
27th July Sisters sail to Calcutta - Allahabad
11th November Sisters arrive in Agra by bullock-cart
13th November, 1842 Msgr Borghi, Archbishop of Hindustan and Tibet officially receives the Sisters in “Akbar’s Church”, Agra
1st December, 1842 First English-medium School, Orphanage and Boarding Establishment: St Patrick’s opened in Civil Lines, Agra
2nd January, 1843 St Joseph’s Urdu-medium School and Boarding Establishment opened for locals in the same complex
1843 British troops move to Ambala Cantonment from the “malarious” Frontier Station in Karnal
1848 Holy Redeemer Church – first Catholic Church built by Fr Venance O.F.M. Cap. of Delhi
1885 Ambala European Catholic population numbers 340 and Indian Catholics, 20. A two-room Soldiers’ Club built north of the Church, later collapses, and is rebuilt as Dispensary and Reading-Room.
1880-1884 Lord Ripon, the only Catholic Viceroy of India visits Holy Redeemer Church en route from Calcutta to Simla, accompanied by his Chaplain, Fr Henry Kerr S.J.
1890 Priest’s residence burns down, is rebuilt – existing today
1893 Mother St Lucie, Provincial Superior, Congregation of Jesus and Mary, India expresses the need of procuring a House in Ambala to serve as Rest-House and Winter Residence for old, ailing Sisters of Simla
xxxxxxxx The Pioneers were M St Gabriel Hayes, M St Agatha Dundon and M Immaculata Dwyer
xxxxxxxx School closes in 1901
1902 Construction of new Church building begins – existing today,
1908 The 121, Staff Road, Ambala Cantonment. Property consisting of a cottage with outhouses, stables and a fine garden is purchased.
xxxxxxx through Fr Julius, Vicar –General who has the power-of-attorney from M St Lucie, the Provincial Superior of India
20th November, 1909 First batch of 3 nuns: M St Colette Cournane, M St. Clothilde Daly and M St Margaret Christie arrive
2nd December, 1909 Convent of Jesus Mary School is opened at the request of Fr Julius, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Agra, then under Most Rev Gentili, to whose Archdiocese, Ambala then belonged. The first pupil is Albert Mortimer, son of Mr Connaught Ranger, a Catholic.
© Copyright 2017 By Convent of Jesus & Mary, Ambala   |   Created By Entab : CampusCare